Sunday, July 18, 2010

Garlic anyone?

Another Sunday late-night post -- again I am sun-kissed and sleepy. I had two of my favorite people visit from SLC on Friday night, and we went out . . . like on the town. Hailey, boring? I think not! I actually danced -- I shouldn't have -- but I danced my booty off. Sorry to all who had to witness my white girl moves. Some kind woman stepped on my flip flop-clad foot and left an impression of her stiletto heel. Frozen peas came in handy the next morning. Thanks Ryan and Meshell for making the trek! I miss you two so. xo

I have been living on meals that are far from well-rounded as of late so I was thrilled to cook for my lovely friends. It has been uncomfortably hot here, and I was hungry for something light and fresh. I stopped by the local butcher and picked up a flank steak, which I marinaded in olive oil, rice wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. I grilled it on my handy grill pan (no outside grill is a major downfall of apartment living) and sliced it super thin.

While this steak was de-licous, the star of the dinner was the following salad. I served it on a big chopping block, and we went to town. No plates necessary!

Butter lettuce.

Radishes look so innocent, but they pack such a zesty punch.

Rough chop the lettuce, slice the cucumber and radishes, cube avocado and some fresh herbs. Drizzle with your favorite dressing -- homemade blue cheese in my case -- and enjoy!

The perfect summer dinner.

The rest of my weekend was spent sweating on the farm. As I mentioned, it was as hot as the hinges of hell. Garlic, unfortunately, does not harvest itself so I dug out five different types: Early Italian, German Red, Korean Red, Chesnok Red, and Spanish Roja.

I love garlic, as does my family, but what does one do with almost 400 heads? Suggestions?Anyone? I think I need a booth at the farmer's market.



Too bad my glasses are on; you can't see the garlic and sun induced-delirium in my eyes.

Garlic awesomeness.

Irrigation boots: fashion and function.

Friends, the countdown is on. This is a green zebra, perhaps my favorite tomato EVER.

Peppers are happy.

So is the judge. He loves his tractor.

Sunny.

All trimmed up. Garlic anyone?

2 comments:

Jim said...

Might I suggest "Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic" as a suitable use for your bounty?

hailskitchen said...

Yes! I could cook many, many chickens with all of the garlic I have!