Saturday, July 24, 2010

Updated peas and potatoes

Last weekend the judge and I picked new potatoes -- yukon gold and red. I am sorry I don't have any photos of the harvest, but we were irrigating at the time, and in turn, covered in mud. My camera is already a filthy, filthy mess from being abused in my kitchen, on the farm and on the river, and I saw a foreseeable disaster of muddy hands and camera equipment.

Anyway, these little taters live just under the surface of the plant. All you have to do is run your hand over the dirt and you can uncover them. It is so fun! Kind of like an Easter egg hunt but for potatoes. While fingerling potatoes in the grocery store are tasty, they DO NOT compare to fresh potatoes, new or otherwise. Visit your local farmer's market and pick up a bag. You will be so pleased you did. They are so much more tender and delicate and sweet than anything that has sat on a grocery shelf for weeks.

I also picked the remaining peas from my parent's garden. They were a little worse for wear but still edible. New peas and potatoes are good friends. In fact, I would say they are a marriage made in matchmaker Heaven. The following recipe is a lighter version of the classic creamed dish. I added a squeeze of citrus, a handful of chopped dill and some shaved parmesan cheese. While it's not the creamed peas and potatoes my Great Grandmother Hazel would have made, I am sure she would approve of the following dish.

Surely as cute as Easter eggs.

So are peas. Probably why they are displayed on so much baby attire.

I wished I had some watermelon seeds to spit as I was shelling these peas.
Oh. And a yard.

Fresh dill is so elegant.

Toss the parboiled peas and taters together with sautéed shallots, a big squeeze of lemon, the chopped dill, salt and pepper. Done!

Updated peas and potatoes.

New peas and potatoes with dill
1 lb new potatoes, larger ones quartered
2 cups fresh peas, shelled
3-4 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
1 shallot, choppped
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper
1 tbs olive oil
parmesan cheese

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the peas to the same cooking water. Cook for about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add the shallots and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the peas and potatoes to the pan. Saute for another couple of minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice over the pan, season with salt and pepper and toss in the chopped dill. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese. Serve hot.

No comments: