Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Beer makes everything taste better!

The following recipe has been ruminating in my little brain for weeks. I finally had an opportunity to make it last night for a surprise birthday party for some friends. It's always a little risky to try out an experimental recipe at a social gathering, but there was plenty of beer involved, and we all know that beer makes everything taste better!

Really, though, this turned out great. The combination of the blue cheese and the rosemary made the dish. The pie crust was smothered with a roasted garlic cream cheese, which was also quite tasty. This cream cheese, in addition to being taste bud-pleasing, is super versatile. You could mix in sun dried tomatoes or roasted peppers and store it in your fridge for bagels. This tart made for very fun party food -- it could also be lovely for brunch.

Does this garlic look familiar?

To make roasted garlic: slice the top off.

Drizzle with a bit of olive oil, wrap up in some foil and roast in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until tender.

A mandolin would have been very convenient here. Mandolin fairy if you're listening, I sure would love one :)

Fresh rosemary.
A brief diatribe: I once got a dried rosemary spear stuck in my throat after eating rosemary focaccia bread for lunch when I worked at Deer Valley Resort. My coworkers thought I was hallucinating. In truth, the little bugger had speared me in the soft tissue behind my tongue. After a number of fruitless attempts to remove the bastard, including tweezers!, someone suggested calling ski patrol. Can you imagine receiving that call? After sticking a napkin halfway down my gullet, I snagged it and was spared a really embarrassing interaction with ski patrol. I tell you, I am a magnet for random, bizarre events such as these. Lucky me.

Cream cheese, roasted garlic, green onions, salt and pepper.

Spread the cream cheese-deliciousness on a pre-baked pie crust. No, I did not make my own crust. Yes, I am still a chicken.

Layer parboiled potatoes as artistically as one can over the cream cheese.

Sprinkle blue cheese and chopped rosemary.

Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree.
I dare you to eat just one slice. Cannot be done.

Potato tart with blue cheese and rosemary
1 pie crust -- homemade or store-bought -- I don't judge
1 pound fingerling potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 head garlic
1 green onion, sliced thinly
3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
1 block cream cheese, brought to room temperature
handful blue cheese
salt and pepper

Prepare pie crust according to directions and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast garlic until tender, about thirty minutes. Meanwhile, slice potatoes and bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Boil potatoes until just tender -- about 8 -10 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Set aside.

Once the garlic is tender squeeze the bulbs from their 'wrappers.' Usually I burn the heck out of my hands when I do this so be careful and use a towel or wait until the garlic is cool -- I am impatient and can't wait :) Combine the roasted garlic, green onion and about 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and mix well. Be sure to crush the garlic cloves to evenly distribute throughout the cream cheese.

Spread the cream cheese over the pre-baked pie crust then layer the potatoes. Sprinkle with a good handful of blue cheese and the chopped rosemary. Bake for 45 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve either hot or cold.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You are a goddess!

hailskitchen said...

Lisa, I love you! Your comments always boost my confidence. Missing you, my lovely friend. xo