Sunday, November 20, 2011

Purple, not pumpkin

People often ask me why I don't make desserts.  One, I don't measure. Two, I am terrified of baking.  Three, I am terrified of baking.  Did I mention I have a fear of baking? 

Behold something rare and unusual here on Hail's Kitchen: a dessert worth making.

With the holidays quickly approaching and things like cranberries in abundance at the grocery aisle, the following dessert is a fun twist on a classic.  

Not only does this dessert taste great -- it's tangy and sweet -- and the color of the filling is a gorgeous purple.  Your Costco pumpkin pie will look really boring next to this.

Seriously, if I can make these bars, you can make these bars.   

I am headed to San Francisco tomorrow morning where I will be eating my first Samoan Thanksgiving.  I can't wait to report on palusami and octopus cooked in coconut milk.  Cross your fingers I don't get eaten by a shark when we go surfing or get locked into a cell at Alcatraz. 

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all!  xoH

Cranberries cooked until they "burst!"

Zipped up in the blender until smoothed.

Strain out the solids.

Sweetness.

Cranberries, condensed milk, lemon, egg yolks.

Purple. Not pumpkin.


I ate mine for breakfast.

Cranberry bars
thanks Vegetarian
for the filling:
1 lb cranberries
7 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks

for the filling:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup graham flour (here's a link on how to make graham flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbs butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Meanwhile simmer cranberries with 1/2 cup water in a pot.  Cook for ten minutes or until the cranberries "burst" then cool.

To make the crust, combine the flours, sugar and salt.  Add the butter and vanilla and mix to combine.  Press the crust into a buttered 8 inch pan.  Bake the crust for 25 minutes.  Turn the heat down to 300 degrees.

While the crust bakes, make the filling.  Blend the cooled cranberries in a blender until smooth.  Strain and transfer to a bowl. Whisk in the condensed milk and lemon followed by the egg yolks.  Pour the filling into the hot crust. Bake for 23-28 minutes or until firm in the middle.  Cool completely and then slice into squares.

1 comment:

SchmidtFineArt.com said...

What a great post! Many of us live vicariously through your adventurous posts, so I - for one - do pray that you are not eaten by a shark.