Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Throwing a bone

I love blogs.  Over the years, I have obsessively followed a few to the point that I evolved from reader to stalker.  There is something incredibly unique about this medium.  Blogs are available to anyone who has something to say -- no need for a publisher or techie knowledge.  They trace your life.  It's remarkably fun to look back on what I was doing one year ago (making cauliflower soup, actually). 

My dear friend Ashley turned me onto a blog that provides this gentle reminder in various forms: be kind to yourself.  For someone who continually struggles with throwing herself a bone, this site rocks. 

So, guess what I did this week?  I threw a myself an enormous bone: I postponed my paper deadline and oral defense.

This decision did not come without lots of kicks and screams.  However, once I realized the benefits of finishing the semester with passing scores, restoring the health of my silly body, and completing a paper I will be proud of, I alleviated so much stress and anxiety that I think I grew two inches. 

I actually completed all of the reading for class last evening.  I participated like a human and not some drone who mimics the other warm-blooded creatures sitting next to her.  It was weird.

I struggle with this concept of balance -- humbling to admit you can't manage all of those spinning plates. By allowing one plate to slow down a bit, I can now pay attention to those that precariously held on through the mayhem.  Sorry if you were one of those plates.

I know I'll look back on this post one year from now (Master's degree and paper months behind me) and be glad I decided to be kind to myself.  Blogs are cool like that. 

Here's another bone for you to chew on: braised short ribs.  With cold weather upon us, this is the perfect meal to fill your home with delicious smells and your tummy with the flavors of fall.

Beef short ribs.

 Seared on all sides.

 See that?  That is flavor.

 Three carrots, three celery ribs, three cloves of garlic.


Red wine, beef broth, mushrooms, fresh thyme
(which didn't make the photo deadline).
 
Slow and low for three hours.

Fuzzy photo, fabulous meal.

Braised beef short ribs
1.5 lbs beef short ribs
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 8 oz package mushrooms, whole
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 bottle red wine
1 cup beef broth
olive oil
flour
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In a large, dutch oven or other oven safe pot with a lid, heat about 1-2 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, dredge the short ribs in a handful of flour and about 1 tsp salt and pepper.  Brown the meat on all sides.  Remove short ribs and add the carrots, celery and garlic to the pot.  Saute for about 5 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with the broth and simmer for about 2 minutes, scrapping all the goodness off the bottom of the pan.  Return the ribs to the pan along with the mushrooms, wine and thyme.  Give it a good stir and tuck the ribs into the braising liquid.  Place the lid on the pot and place in the oven.  Cook for 2.5-3 hours when the meat falls of the bone.  Serve over mashed potatoes. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

jessikahsd said...

So proud of you for making yourself the priority! It can be so hard to do but is so important. Hang in there. I know it's tough now, but you are right - in a year you'll be past all of this and will have accomplished so much!