Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Creamy, saucy, spicy

It sure feels good to write in my Hail's Kitchen voice rather than the academic voice that has dominated my brain recently. Why didn't someone warn me that writing a paper like mine would be a full-time job. In fact, I am working overtime on this paper.  Hazard pay?

I am so close to having this thing wrapped up.  Sooooo close.  You know when you are nearing the end of a race, and your body begs you to give up, your mind taunts you to quit, but miraculously something inside you tells your body and mind to shut the hell up.  You manage to cross the finish line and then someone hands you a beer.  (The beer part might be unique to my family).

I am living that stage now.  My endurance is waning.  My body is revolting with strange disorders (shingles?!).  My attitude is less than positive.  However, I am pushing through because I know my family and friends will be there at the finish line, beers in hand, to congratulate me. 

That day cannot come soon enough.

On a completely unrelated and fabulous note, river living received a major upgrade this past week.  We basically moved from a shoebox to mansion.  This move is temporary, sadly.  Mansion river living will only last through May, but words can't express my affection for this new abode.  It. Is. Amazing. 

I had to break myself away from the masion to join in on the hunting this past weekend.  It's cow elk season, and we are trying diligently to fill the freezer.  We hiked up hills, over hills, down hills, across hills.  Did I mention up and down hills?  I spent equal time on my arse as I did on my feet.  We saw every critter but elk.  I am praying that the Great Samoan Hunter finds one this week while I am in the city. 

After burning twelve thousand calories, the following meal hit the spot. Shrimp and grits have been on my wish list for a long time.  Creamy, saucy, spicy.  We earned all the cheese and bacon after our hiking marathon.

Eliza and Narcissa are calling.  Until next time, friends. xoH

Tuli is living bird dog heaven. 

Never in my life did I think my kitchen counter would
display food as well as bullets.

The Great Samoan Hunter.

Three chopped green onions and one green pepper.

Three slices crispy bacon.

Cook one pound shrimp in bacon grease until just pink.


Add the green onions, green pepper,
1 large chopped shallot and 3 cloves minced garlic.

Add half of can of diced tomatoes and one cup beer with
1-2 tbs cayenne pepper, 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp oregano.
Simmer about 3 minutes or until the liquid is mostly reduced.

Return the shrimp and bacon to the pan.
(I doused the shrimp with a bit more cayenne).
Cook only to rewarm the shrimp and bacon. 
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately over the cheesy grits.

For the grits: bring four cups broth to a boil.
Add two cups quick cook cornmeal and
 stir vigorously for about 2 minutes.


Add one cup shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Season with black pepper.

This parsely jumped on the plate.


Preview: braised short ribs.

2 comments:

jessikahsd said...

Ooooohhhhh, this all looks so good!

Kristy said...

I made this a few weeks ago and I can't stop thinking about it. It was fantastic!