Thursday, June 2, 2011

If you could eat summer it would look like this

The following pictures may confuse you.  You may think, wow, Hailey drove to the coast for Memorial weekend.  Gray skies, waves, sand.  Then you will be jolted back to reality when you see the RV, which gets less than appealing gas mileage and a drive to the coast would require me to sell one of my kidneys to afford the trip.  Also, sagebrush.  I am fairly certain sagebrush does not grow on the coastline.  

However, this location (which I have been sworn to secrecy by my sweet friends who shared this little spot of heaven) was in Idaho -- a little more than an hour's drive away from my home.  The weather required us to enjoy the haven of the RV for a large part of our night's stay, but listening to whitecaps smash on the rocks truly felt like we were on the ocean.  Perhaps I am just easily amused, but living in a landlocked state, I will gladly take moments like this any time.  Plus, s'mores cooked over the gas stove with reeses peanut butter cups instead of plain chocolate revolutionized the way I look at marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers. 

 See Tuli in the front seat -- he would drive if he had thumbs.
 Sand, shore birds and waves. Oh my!
 He's so fashion-forward.
 Breakfast scramble with zucchini, onions, peppers and squash, and CREAM CHEESE.  Next time you scramble eggs, add a few tbs of cream cheese instead of cheese = delicious.
 Served our breakfast guests espresso in plastic cups.  Keepin' it classy in the rv!

After enduring the wind and weather as long as we could, we escaped to my parents house . . .  to their hot tub.  My mom prepared a fabulous Memorial weekend meal that channeled warmth and summer -- bbq chicken, watermelon, corn on the cob.  Eating food like this really does get you excited for the months ahead.  Bring on summer!

 Next time you eat corn on the cob, try this combination: equal parts sour cream and crumbled feta cheese (eyeball enough to serve your guests), season with salt and pepper.  Slather on hot corn and have a napkin handy -- messy but worth it!
 Grilled corn and bbq chicken.
If you could eat summer it would look like this.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

The breakfast scramble looks yummy... a great idea for tomorrow morning!

The RV and shoreline looked great, too! I love, love, love living vicariously through you!