Friday, June 3, 2011

Over half my life . . .

Before I begin, for those folks who are new to Hail's Kitchen and have not seen Nick's ass cake, please beware . . . ass cake below!!!

For those of you who frequent Hail's Kitchen, you will recognize this cake.  I couldn't be bothered mustering up another epic ass cake for myself.  I little photoshopping (terrible photoshopping, I might add), and voila!  Friends, may I present you with a seventeen year obsession:


People who know me well know that I have lusted after this silly tattoo since I first saw A River Runs Through It when I was about thirteen.  A few friends and my mother, specifically, have questioned, "Why????" Well, this is an entirely personal location.  It's not like LOVE would be tattooed on, say, my forehead.  Future employers would never know.  I don't foresee a career shaking my derriere anytime soon.  My dad just audibly sighed when he read that.

I have never wanted something consistently for SEVENTEEN years.  Well, maybe to win the lottery, but that's beside the point.  This tattoo would be an entirely selfish venture.  My twenties were largely a lesson in making me a priority in my own life.  I spent a large chunk of time attempting to make other people happy -- at the cost of my own happiness, health and overall well-being.  

As I celebrate this big birthday today, I feel I am finally settling into my own skin, proud of the direction I am heading with my degree, my potential career, my life!  A number of women who I admire very much have reminded me how wonderful their thirties are/were.  All I can wish for today is that I enter my thirties with as much grace and class as those fine gals.

I hear my parents now, grace and class do not marry well with a tattoo on one's rump, but you know what does?  Having the gall to do something I have wanted to do for over half of my life.  How can you argue with that?  Happy birthday to me! xoxoH

3 comments:

Wren said...

First and foremost: Happy, Happy Birthday! And secondly: did you get your tattoo already??! Holla!

The Cork Chipper said...

YAY! Tattoos on birthdays!

Stacey said...

Your 30's will be FABULOUS! For me, that was the best decade thus far in life... settling in and feeling comfortable in my own skin, gaining a newfound confidence, pursuing what was important to me... may you find the same exhilerating freedom and contentment and blessings. Enjoy this decade, Hailey, as you come into yourself. Happy to be your friend.