Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dog spit and Buick La Sabres, AKA: Heather and Nick's holiday gathering

I am clearly on vacation. Vacation from school and vacation from posting. It's been a week since I last visited ol' Hail's Kitchen. In fact, it's been about a week since I've cooked. Last night Heather and Nick hosted a cookie exchange/solstice/dinner party. I am kicking myself hard for not taking any photos of the amazing stew Nick made. The meat was so tender you could cut it with your spoon. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I'll make sure he makes it again and post the recipe here for your enjoyment.

I made a super easy appetizer, which you'll find below. It looks fancy shmancy, but is super easy and absolutely delicious. We had cookies and cheese galore, as well as played x-rated Balderdash. It was an excellent evening.


The BEST chips in the world: salt and pepper.

Cougar gold cheese from WSU.
A Hodges holiday tradition.

Heather's rolls. Recipe to come. mmmmmm.


Camembert cheese and apricot jam.



Oozing goodness.

Baked cheese in puff pastry
1 disk brie or camembert cheese
1 sheet puff pastry
1/2 cup apricot jam
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pastry sheet on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Brush with the jam. Place the cheese in the middle -- rind and all. Fold up the pastry corner by corner. Brush with egg wash. Bake 20-30 minutes or until pastry is puffed and brown. Serve with sliced bread or crackers.

1 comment:

jessikahsd said...

Hailey this looks so yummy and festive and fun! I am definitely going to make it for NYE - thanks so much for sharing the recipe.