Monday, December 14, 2009

Pie, lasagna style

Hello friends. I returned last night from a mad-dash, shopping overnighter to SLC with my mom and sister where we spent almost five hours, yes your eyes aren't fooling you, FIVE hours in Ikea. I was so exhausted by the time we finished that I forgot my bag in the store. I drove to Utah to Christmas shop and then FORGOT MY PRESENTS. Ugh.

I had the epiphany this morning at 6:15 a.m. when I realized, huh, Heather's Ikea bag was upstairs, as was my mom's. Where was mine? It's not as if someone would break into my car and take only my Ikea bag; although, it did have some rad things in it, which I can't reveal here. Namely because a little person named Julia may be reading. Don't fear Julia. Even though Ikea re-shelved all of my items, assholes, Santa's elves assured me that you'll get your gift. You are on his nice list and mine, too.

I blame the five hours of shopping and low blood sugar for my momentary lapse in cognitive functioning. Who does a thing so idiotic?!

It was REALLY hard to be in Utah and not call all of my friends. Hi, I am here! Want to play? Eat sushi? Be my friend again? I even tried to sneak in a hair cut. No time for that either, sadly. We were on a mission: a Christmas shopping mission. We started a tradition between siblings that we only spend $20 per person, which considering that we are all impoverished is quite logical. The budget encourages us to get very creative. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone produces this year. I am quite tickled with my gifts.

Oh wait . . . I forgot them on a bench at Ikea.

As we were walking through the Gateway on Sunday morning, we saw one of my favorite people on the planet. In fact, this woman was one my inspirations for starting this silly blog. Heather Armstrong of dooce strolled right in front of us in all of her pixie-haired glory. She is a blogger/writer who lives in SLC, and I've been reading her almost daily for about five years now. As I've mentioned with Ree from the Pioneer Woman, when you read someone long enough, you really feel as though you know them. Heather is irreverently hysterical and totally wonderful. Her site brings me so much joy.

My family made me go in and say hello. Heather (my Heather) even took our picture! I felt like such a dork. I wanted so desperately to say something witty and cool. I didn't. I was a total dork. Afterwards, I felt like Baby in Dirty Dancing, "I carried a watermelon." Thank you, Heather, for humoring a fan.

Other than the early-onset Alzheimer's, it was a great mini trip. How I miss you Salt Lake City and all you have to offer, shopping and otherwise.

Here's a fun spin on lasagna. Please note: I am petrified of pie crust. Even the store-bought variety makes me anxious. Not quite sure what brought this inspiration on today, but it was darn tasty. Heather and NICK!, who's home from saving lives and performing vasectomies, both agreed it is worthy of repeating. I think next time I'll serve it for brunch with eggs.

Spring-form pan.
If you don't have one: ask Santa to bring you one.
You need one. They rock.

I was trying to take the above photo
and this silly guy snuck in. Had to share.




My blood pressure was at an unhealthy level here.
Pie crusts and I are not friends.


Fish scales.


Before egg wash.

Not as pretty as it tasted.


Lasagna pie
2 pie crusts, store bought or otherwise
3 zucchinis, thinly sliced
1 full cup spinach
1 shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tbs fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (I used the Italian herb variety to save on spices)
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp garlic salt
s/p

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a tart pan or spring-form pan (this worked swell!). Evenly lay pie crust in bottom of pan. Press against edges. I would recommend piercing the crust with the tines of a fork all over to prevent bubbling -- I think the bean method is for the birds -- but what ever suits you. Bake crust for 13-15 minutes. Remove and set aside. Reduce the oven heat to 350.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan heat oil and saute shallots and garlic over medium heat. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Season with red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper. Pour in tomatoes and add tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer about ten minutes.

In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of the parmesan, garlic salt, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and Italian parsley. Stir well.

When crust has cooled to the touch, spread about half of the ricotta mixture on the bottom of the crust. Layer the zucchini on top. Spread half the sauce on top. Spread the spinach on top of the sauce. Dot the remaining ricotta on top of the spinach and then pour on the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan and the feta on top. Carefully place the second crust on top of the bottom crust. Trim away the excess and cut vents. Brush with egg wash. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the crust is bubbly. Carefully remove the spring-form pan and cut into wedges. Serve warm or cold.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm definitely making this! So... are you going to come back to SLC to hang out? Please?