Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Roast beast

I didn't get out of my pajamas on Saturday. In fact, I put copious layers ON TOP of my pajamas to run to the grocery store to pick up supplies for the gingerbread decorating extravaganza and the glorious roast recipe that you'll find below. I am sure I was a vision in the candy isle.

I feel I need to quite bitching and moaning about the weather. Yes, it's snowy. Yes, it's windy. Yes, it's cold, so cold that when I attempt to let Berkley out in the morning she looks at me like I just sprouted a second head. But, it's winter, and with winter comes many of my favorite pastimes: skiing, sledding, snow fort building, snow shoeing, drinking peppermint schnapps and having an excuse to make cozy, comfort food every weekend.

My addiction to noodle salads dissipated with the recent cold front -- it's impossible to crave something cold when one's fingernails are permanently tinged purple. I learned of this roast recipe while on the treadmill at the gym last week. I strategically go between 5:30 and 6:00, when I can, so I can watch Giada and Ina. Seems a little counterintuitive to be working off calories and fantasizing about the calories I would like to ingest. Food is on my mind entirely too much.

Nonetheless, she cooked this beautiful roast, which is kind of a cross between roast beef and beef bourguignon. Her recipe called for an enormous amount of salt and she added cognac -- Ina can afford to cook with cognac. I can't even to afford to drink it -- so I've tweaked things a bit. It has wine and tomatoes and fresh herbs and leeks. How I love leeks. If you haven't tried leeks, please do. For me. They are such a fresh, fun addition to any recipe. Next time your recipe calls for an onion, try using a leek. You'll love it!

Sorry for the leek tangent . . . this roast was delicious. I had planned on serving it over mashed potatoes but decided on pasta at the last second. I also shredded mine up so it was more stew-like, but you could slice yours and make a nice presentation for a Sunday meal. MMMM. It's muy good.

I used a roast that was just under four pounds.
Made for a TON of leftovers.

Whole, peeled tomatoes.






Damn the sunset at 5:00.

Yep, parmesan cheese on my roast.

Roast beast, I mean, beef
Adapted from Ina Garten

1 beef roast

3-4 carrots, roughly chopped

3-4 celery stalks, roughly chopped

1 onion, roughly chopped

3 leeks, white and green parts only, roughly chopped

5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (surprisingly, the garlic-lover that I am forgot these, and it was still great)

1 cup red wine

1 cup chicken broth

1 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes

1 chicken bullion cube

3 branches fresh thyme

3 branches fresh rosemary

2 tbs olive oil

s/p

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pat the beef dry with a paper towel. Season the roast all over with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. In a large, oven-safe stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the roast and sear each side for about 4 to 5 minutes, until browned on all sides. Remove the roast to a large plate.

Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Add the carrots, onions, celery, leeks, garlic and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until tender but not browned. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, bouillon cube and 1 teaspoon pepper. Ina tied her herbs together. I threw mine in whole, and they were just fine. Put the roast back into the pot, bring to a boil, and cover. Place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is fork tender or about 160 degrees F internally. Turn the heat down to 250 degrees F after about an hour to keep the sauce at a simmer.

Remove the roast to a cutting board. Remove the herb stems and discard. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove the strings from the roast, and slice the meat. Serve warm with the sauce spooned over it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We all eat vitamins and store garlic are used in his great taste and flavor is also good natural antibiotics even swine flu.sarımsak hapı yorumları