Wednesday, December 9, 2009

How do you spell humina, humina, humina?

Today was a good day. In fact, I would go so far as to say that today was a great day. I successfully finished my last two papers -- meaning I thoroughly and adequately completed them according to both rubrics. I managed to squeeze in a hot tub soak. I ran for thirty minutes on the treadmill. For me, this is monumental. I LOATHE running. It is the bane of my existence, but I am trying to reprogram my brain to become a runner. After today's successful thirty minute stint, the synapses just might be refiring.

One travesty did occur at the gym, as my life would not be complete without something like this happening, I slipped on the treadmill while my shoes were still wet and snowy, and I dropped my ipod touch. I CRACKED the screen. I let out an audible yelp that I am certain the entire second floor heard. At least I didn't injure myself, which is usually the case. God, please help me to not be such a damn klutz.

Then I came home and made the BEST DINNER EVER. For those of you who frequent this site, I must apologize, as you probably think I am a total nut. I love every meal. Every dinner is the best dinner ever. I implore you to cook this, that or the other because it is the BEST DINNER EVER. Well, tonight's meal may have trumped all my previous mentionings.

I woke up hungry for the following combination of greens, roasted tomatoes, goat cheese and eggs. I could not get it out of my head. In fact, I dreamt about exactly how I was going to prepare it all through class. In omelet form? Over cous cous? With bacon? Without bacon? Unfortunately, Heather wasn't home tonight to share the deliciousness so Berkley had to listen to me repeat over and over how much I loved it.

I have one final presentation and the semester is over! I can hardly believe how quickly it went. I only have three more semesters to go, and I'll be a real, live teacher. Holy cow. Parents, hide your children. I am now off to make super hero costumes for my presentation tomorrow. We will be dressed as Brofenbrenner's five systems. I am torturing my group members and making them dress up. We're the last group to present and every one is so brain dead that a little metallic superhero distraction of capes and masks will do us all good.

Antes de roasting.

Swiss chard.


Goat cheese rolled in panko bread crumbs.
Berkley desperately wanted these litle guys.



This photo does not do it justice.

Cheers.

Pasta with swiss chard and roasted veggies
1/2 package pasta - shape of your choosing
1 bundle swiss chard, thoroughly cleaned, stems removed and roughly chopped
handful asparagus spears, rough ends removed and roughly chopped
5-6 green onions, sliced lengthways
3 plum tomatoes, cut in half
1 shallot, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 log goat cheese
1 egg/person, poached
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2ish tbs olive oil
s/p

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle sliced tomatoes with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about thirty minutes. You'll use the same pan to roast the asparagus and green onions. At about the thirty minute mark or when the tomatoes appear to be caramelizing, add the asparagus, which has been drizzled with a bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. About ten minutes later, add the onions, which too, have been seasoned. Cook for about five more minutes and remove.

At the same time, in a large pan heat one tbs olive oil over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic. Add the swiss chard. Season with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Be careful not to burn, as the chard becomes inedibly bitter. Cook until wilted.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions.

Slice the goat cheese into 1.5 inch slices. Dredge in the panko and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam. Set aside. Before service, place in the hot oven for about five minutes to heat through.

Poach the eggs also right before service. Here's a helpful link on poaching eggs, as I am terrible!

Toss the pasta with the roasted vegetables and the swiss chard. Place two rounds of goat cheese and a poached egg on top and enjoy!

No comments: