Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Come on science!

If you could have one wish right this very moment what would it be?  Win the lottery?  Have the ability to fly or read minds?  Even better, the ability to teleport?  Guess what mine is this very second -- a CLONE!  I want a clone who would studiously read my homework, attend class and write my thesis.  My clone would free up my time so I could play outside in this glorious 72 degree weather. Because I have no clone, I am stuck inside attempting to write a chapter of my paper. 

I can hear you crying, too, because you're stuck at your desk.  Clones.  I am telling you, the world would be a happier, more productive planet if we had mirror images of ourselves to do all of our unwanted work.  Come on science!

Since you are stuck at your desk, here's something delightful to distract you.  FHE last night was less of an affair than last week.  My roommates had some gorgeous, wild Alaskan salmon that we grilled on cedar planks.  Thanks to my lovely neighbor and friend Ashley, we had the tastiest of tasty glazes for the fish: chipotle huckleberry. I will get the recipe for you straight away, as it was really something special.

We had a number of sad looking root vegetables in the fridge so I once again tricked the roommates into eating rutabagas and turnips.  We also sauteed some red cabbage and kale.  Without planning, we created quite the antioxidant-rich, purple meal.  

Try these mashed veggies.  You'll like them, and I'm certain if you had a clone, s/he would like them too.

I peeled the rutabagas and turnips and left the potato skins on.

Boil in salted water until tender. 
(The rutabagas take longer so you could put them in a few minutes 
before everything else).

Mash up and blend with 1/2 cup broth (vegetable, chicken or beef), 
2 tbs butter, 1 heaping tbs grainy mustard.  Season to taste with ground pepper.


Cedar planks soaking.

Deboning the salmon. Fish bones are about as pleasant as gun shot.

Wild and delicious.


Matt glazing.






Product placement was entirely accidental.  
You're welcome Deschutes. 

1 comment:

Tri Cook said...

So what happens if the clone gets tired of all that? Sounds like a bad sci-fi movie. lol.