Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Definitely not vegan cream sauce

This is a typical night in my kitchen -- I start out making stir-fried Asian noodles and end up with pasta primavera.

I chopped my vegetables and was about to prepare a sauce when I realized I didn't have fish sauce. Sigh. Then I had the brilliant idea to make the vegan cream sauce I mentioned last week. I got out my food processor and was about to blend up the cashews when I realized I didn't have any tahini. Louder sigh. (I couldn't be bothered with a trip to the grocery store).

Being that I was more than halfway to my dinner, I threw together the following cream sauce, which is most certainly not vegan or particularly light in nature, but it sure was tasty. It was also super quick to make -- I bet I made this pasta in the time it takes to make those insta-bag-dinners. And I bet mine was better for you with less sodium, fat and other superfluous ingredients that I can't even pronounce.

Take your kids (or boyfriend or girlfriend or husband or wife or roommate or dog) to the store with you. Let them pick out their favorite veggies and favorite pasta shape. Make this dish together. Then eat it and be proud of yourselves that you produced such a fresh, delicious meal. Together. Try it. You'll like it. Then you'll get addicted, but you won't have to go to rehab for this sort of addiction :)

I love asparagus season.
I met a lady at one of my classes who has five acres of asparagus.
Lucky.

Kicks any bagged pasta's ass.

Too bad this spring-time pasta doesn't translate to the weather --
another snowy, windy day here in Eastern Idaho.


Pasta primavera
veggies of your choice cut into bite-sized pieces:
broccoli
cauliflower
carrots
asparagus
zucchini
garlic
onion

1/2 cup broth, veggie or chicken
1 cup half and half
1 tbs butter
1 tbs flour
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Garnish with chopped, fresh basil or Italian parsley and more parmesan cheese.

Choose any smallish pasta shape of your choice, cook according to directions. Meanwhile, in a large pan heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium heat and add the diced veggies. I added a bit of water and covered mine to steam them a bit, but be careful not to overcook. Once the veggies are tender, remove and set aside.

Next, melt the butter and add the flour. You want to combine the flour and butter, as they will be the 'glue' for your sauce. Cook for about a minute and then SLOWLY add the broth, stirring constantly, otherwise you'll have lumpy, bumpy, ugly sauce. Once the broth is incorporated, gradually add in the half and half. Add the cheese and salt and pepper. Cook for another minute or so or until the sauce thickens. Return the vegetables and the cooked pasta to the pan and stir well. Serve immediately with parmesan and fresh herbs.

No comments: