Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Love big

Having Malia has reinforced how blessed I am to be surrounded by loving family and friends.  One of the primary motivators for our move to the city was to be closer to family.  We even coerced my sister Julia to live with us.  Living in the same city wasn't enough -- we had to be in the same house.  It's been great fun seeing aunts, uncles, and cousins and catching up properly, more than just a quick hello/goodbye.

Since Baby M was born, we've seen my grandparents three times.  That's more than I have seen them in the last three years.  The first time they visited Malia was only three weeks old. I was elated to introduce our girl to her great grandparents. It was pretty incredible watching my Gran snuggle my baby and reminisce about me at that age.  I was at the height of my battle with breastfeeding (this topic deserves its own post), and my poor nipples were wrecked.  My baby-drunk Granny looked at me with such pleasure and said, "I just want to nurse her!" If only she could have, as I would have gladly accepted her offer. It was such a charming, delightful moment, one that will forever be sealed in my memory bank.  

Sunday night as we were cringing watching the Super Bowl with friends, stuffing our faces eating an array of wild game appetizers -- antelope seven layer dip, chukar and pheasant satay, elk teriyaki  -- my attention was drawn away to a family emergency.  My Granny was in the ER. The last several years she's endured horrendous headaches resulting in several surgeries, facial numbness, loss of balance, among other icky side effects.  My beautiful Gran persisted and toughed out the pain with grace, class and bravery.  

We hustled down to the ICU where we met family bedside.  With lots of hugs, tears and prayers we said goodbye.  I watched in awe as my Grandfather said goodbye to his wife of sixty years.  He looked at her with such peace and love knowing full well where she was headed.  When the nurses made the final call that she was gone, he looked up at all of us, smiled and said, "She's just changed her address."  

Baby M now has an army of grandmothers watching over and protecting her.  I am certain that Granny Laree delighted in telling Grandma Joyce all about our sweet baby. Both of my grandmothers loved big. They reminded me each time I saw them, spoke to them or received a letter/email how much I was loved.  I won't be surprised if Malia's first words are I love you, as I tell her all day/night long.  Thanks to those lovely ladies I too love big.

Life is short and fragile.  Love big. xo


                                I love you Gran. xo                                      

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your grandpa's words. Sweet.
I am so sorry for your loss. How amazing for you to be able to have spent this time with her in her last few days/months.
Hugs and love. xoxo

SchmidtFineArt.com said...

She loved you SO much (she still does).