Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dinner before 10:00 p.m.

This is the first summer in several that I have planted a garden.  I like to think I have a green thumb, in fact, gardening is my genes.  Both of my great grandfathers were spectacular gardeners.  The Judge and my mom attempted their hand at 'farming' with our little acreage that proved to be such a labor of love it exhausted all of us. We all miss the farm.  Especially the Judge and his tractor.

One of my first projects after moving into our new house was planting a small, container garden.  Unfortunately, our growing season here is about two months.  The snow starts falling around October and melts about March, but then intermittently spits until May.  I optimistically waited until mid-June to plant, assuring myself we were beyond any late-season frosts.

One particularly chilly night, I contemplated covering my little friends in the backyard.  Damn intuition. I woke up the next morning to my windshield covered in frost, as well as my tender tomato, pepper, squash, watermelon and cucumber plants.  I could have cried.

For then next week or so, I ignored the pots in the backyard.  I couldn't stand to look at those sad, withered plants.  Feeling guilty, I started watering them again, trimmed back their frozen bits, talked sweet nothings to them.  Amazingly, they have started to sprout life.  They have even managed to produce!  I picked my first tomato and peas grown from my own efforts in years.

My poor little plants look a little wonky now, their tops lobbed off, the remnants of the freeze still lingering on a few leaves.  But hey, we're all a little wonky with our own freezer-burns.  I know I sure am -- and I am bearing fruit!  Sorry, couldn't help the analogy.

I have two days away from the Lodge, which makes me a little giddy.  I taught yoga this morning to my little group of local ladies, I have some domestic duties to tend to, and some rhubarb to bake. I may even take a nap.  I told you I was giddy.

There's still hope!

Maybe not so much for this guy.



Last night I actually made it home before the sun set.  It was so strange to be home at a reasonable hour that I didn't quite know what to do with myself.  What do most people do at night?  Eat dinner before 10:00.  The Great Samoan Hunter was equally as shocked when he came home to a prepared meal other than a bowl of cereal.

This is not a super original meal. In fact, it's probably a staple in your home.  However, I did get creative with my tortillas. I was hankering for a crispy shell.  My hankerings these days are really difficult to dispel.  I have nearly driven to town several times for a bean and cheese burrito from Fiesta Ole.  I. LOVE. THEM.  I was hungry for crispy shells and all I had on hand were soft wheat tortillas.   Here was my solution:

Baked them draped over the oven rack for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. 

They came out looking like these perfect, hard taco shells!

Sauteed yellow onion, garlic and ground beef with a can of tomatoes,
cumin, oregano, chili powder and red pepper flakes.

Lovely little radishes.


I even had time to make some homemade pico. It really is wonderfully unique and refreshing salsa with 
the addition of diced cucumber and avocado.  You can find the recipe here.

Hates don't hate. This is the most spectacular topping for corn on the cob.  
Mix about 2 parts plain yogurt with 1 part crumbled feta.  Smear over your steaming hot corn.
Delicious! Makes a great topping for tacos, too.

Light, healthy, fresh and homemade!  I could get used to dinner before 10:00.

A number of you have asked (begged, pleaded, lovingly hounded) me for a photo of Baby M's progression in my belly.  Here she is 25 weeks, 6 days in all of her (my) glory.  

xo H and Baby M

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A wonderful meal and the sweetest little baby bump!

Unknown said...

I LOVE your blog!!! Give the bump kisses from Amelia and I - even better, ask the GSH to do it for us!! xoxox