Wednesday, July 24, 2013

33 by 33

This afternoon as I was uploading photos, the first shot to come up was this beauty:


I wasn't exactly sure what it was until I remembered the attempt to capture my big rainbow from last week's outing.  It's probably a good thing photos don't come equipped with other senses, because what you don't experience from this shot are the expletives erupting from my mouth.  I swore then I pouted.  Stupid fish.

Each year the Great Samoan Hunter and I write a list of things to do before our birthday the next year.  This year we each have 33 things we would like to do before we're 33.  Our 33 before 33.  Last year, he checked the most monumental off of his list -- killing an elk with his bow.  I think six pack abs were on both of our lists, which both went unfulfilled, sadly. 

One thing that has been on my list each year is to explore the Southeastern corner of Yellowstone National Park.  It's backcountry access only, waterfalls and interesting water features abound, and there's fish to be had (in addition apparently to the Park's largest population of bears).  

I am not sure how many people know where exactly they were conceived.  As much as I don't enjoy the thought of my parents procreating, I do love the fact that my entrance into the world was in Yellowstone.  It's one of my favorite places on Earth, and despite the throngs of Japanese tourists each clutching their cameras worth more than my car, I still get a thrill looking at the hot pots and colored pools.  This trip will offer a whole new aspect of the park, one that will most certainly lack the tourists and crowded parking lots.  I can't wait to report back on what we see. 

I have spent most of today prepping for our two night's camping trip.  We'll be camping just outside the roadless entrance with the convenience of bear-proof food storage receptacles at each site.  Since we won't have to pack in/out, our Yeti cooler is full, and I am ready for some fireside meals.  Translation, I am going to eat smores until I am sick. 

The following salad is a summer staple. Forgive me if I have posted it before.  It is worth duplicating, I promise.  Spaghetti squash is by far my favorite squash.  It transforms from a plain, unsuspecting oblong to lovely, little squash tendrils.  This salad keeps great in the fridge and makes a fantastic side dish to anything grilled.  Try it. You will like it.

I am off to pack my bear spray and my marshmallows.  xoH


Cut your squash in half, pull out all of the seeds, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Roast in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.

Gently pull back the threads.


Shred until you have individual tendrils.

Mix together with about 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup feta cheese, one small minced garlic clove, and 1/2 cup chopped, fresh basil.

Toss all together with a little extra olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

I also BAKED today.  Rhubarb, blueberry, peach cake for our camp breakfasts.  I will post the recipe when I get back.  I 'quality control' tested a bite while they were still hot, and they are delicious!


Here are my goods prepped and ready for the cooler:
curried mango chicken salad, squash salad and tin foil dinner fixings.  

No comments: