Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sparkle

Last week I spent recharging my battery with Grandma Joyce.  The intent of my visit was to be at her every beck and call, help her recharge her battery.  I cooked pasta two nights in a row just because she loves pasta. I made one of her all time favorite dishes -- stew -- to praises.  I baked scones.  Successfully. Cooking for the woman who is largely responsible for my culinary skill was not so much intimidating.  Simply, I wanted to make her proud. I kept picking her brains for her trade secrets -- how much of this, how long for that.  After eating my eggplant parmesan, which the recipe is entirely different from hers and my mom's, she gave me the best food compliment I have ever received.  She said my food sparkles.

You know what internet, my Grandma Joyce sparkles.

I have been incredibly lucky to be raised by two women, my mom and my grandma.  She's nearly eighty-six years old and is the sharpest, wittiest and hippest women I have had the pleasure of hanging around (and I have her genes).  I am lucky to have two moms.  Yesterday, Grandma received less than stellar news.  There is an asshole strain of cancer growing inside of her.  Yes, a shitty, mean, uninvited asshole.

I am collecting every ounce of positive, hopeful, loving energy and sending it her way. If you are reading this, send some love and light her way, because she has lots of sparkling left to do.

One of our sparkly breakfasts.

Another, blueberry scones.

I will make those scones again this week for guide school here at the Lodge.  The Great Samoan Hunter asked if I would play chef for the next seven days since his real chef doesn't start until April 1.  Here's to hoping these guides think my food sparkles, as well.

2 comments:

Åsa said...

Haily, it's so good to catch up on your blog. Miss seeing your pretty face in class!!
Lots of well wishes to your grandmother, and to you. Hope to see you soon.

Lusks in LOVE said...

Hi beautiful friend! I missed this post- it was wonderful! I hope your grandma knows how bad-A i think she is, even though I have never met her. You must emulate her sparkling;) I miss you Hai! Tell the Great Samoan Hunter HELLO from me, Seth, and the two CRAZY-cute boys!