Tuesday, March 6, 2012

One pot wonder

It's official, I want cows.  I want to be a cattle rancher or ranchette -- whatever the correct term.  On another quest for lodge photos for the Great Samoan Hunter, I got to tag along on a real Idaho adventure: feeding the cows at the ranch across the street.  Our friend Collin drove up from Utah to work his magic.  He is an amazing photographer and when I grow up I want to take pictures just like he does.  Check out his site.  He's pretty much a bad ass.

We got to ride along on the tractor and even tried our hand at feeding, which turned into a race/competition.  I dusted the Great Samoan Hunter with my skills.  I think I've got ranchette potential! Every time I drive to the river mansion I pass this cheery ranch.  Now that these cows are my friends I won't just drive aimlessly by. I'll wave.


Meta photography: photo of the photographer.

Mom Kate driving the tractor.

If son Brody's future as a rancher doesn't pan out I think he could have a career as a male model.   Excellent blue steel.

Dad Jared was dressed to the nines.


I have swapped my ranchette hat for nurse/personal assistant/chef/entertainer/maid hats as I am caring for a certain Grandma Joyce.  She's recovering from surgery and fortunately my schedule is less than occupied these days.  I have been force feeding her all sorts of good food so hopefully she won't have gained five pounds by her followup appointment.  The weather here was 64 degrees yesterday so I set up the chairs on her deck, and we soaked up some vitamin D.  Sadly we woke up to snow on the chairs this morning so no sunbathing.

She's so hip on her ipad.

I made pork carnitas this weekend when Collin visited, and they were so delicious I made them again last night for Grandma.  As Collin said, "they don't suck."  Try these carnitas.  They're so good you'll want to make them three days later.

Cubed pork.

The aromatic goodness.

This meal truly is a one pot wonder. 

The world's best pico de gallo (promise!): dice four tomatoes with most of the pulp removed, mince three green onions, dice one avocado, dice one jalapeno, dice half of one cucumber (this is what makes this salsa the BEST), juice of one juice lime, if not two, a glug of olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.  Resist eating the whole bowl yourself.  With a spoon.  I dare you.

I served the carnitas in a tortilla with yellow rice and beans. Delicious!
Pork carnitas
adapted from epicurious
3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into cubes
1 large onion, sliced
1 orange, cut into quarters
8 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
3 bay leaves
2 tbs oregano
2 tbs coarse salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbs honey
1 tbs milk
3 cups water

Combine all ingredients in a large dutch oven or ovensafe pot.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook for about 2 hours over low - medium heat (you want a low rumble), stirring occasionally until all of the liquid evaporates.  Preheat your oven to 450.  'Fry' in the oven for 30 minutes, no need to cover or stir.  Remove from the pan and chop roughtly.  Serve in tortillas and enjoy!

No comments: