Friday, March 2, 2012

Bacon butt

How is it already March 2?  Where did January go, less February?  Last time I went into town (I love saying that), the stores were marketing Easter.  I feel like time is going faster -- Earth's revolutions have sped up.  Before we know it, you all will be addressing me as Master Hailey.

This winter I have been obsessed with one mode of cooking: braising.  I have braised chicken thighs, turkey thighs, elk roasts, pork roasts, pretty much anything I get my hands on end up in the oven in some sort of liquid.  Recently the Great Samoan Hunter teased me about my fixation.  Let me guess, he said, you braised dinner.  Maybe, well, yes.

Something else I have been obsessing about this winter is the notion of homesteading.  Living on the river has changed the way I cook, as well as the way I grocery shop.  Since I can't easily zip down to the store to pick up an ingredient -- the closest store is 45 minutes away on dry roads -- I have had to utilize forethought and creativity.  I am that woman in the grocery line whose cart looks like she's preparing for doom's day. 

Before this winter, I will fully admit to being a food waster.  I threw so much stuff away!  Now before that knee jerk reaction takes hold of me, I reevaluate the item.  For example, we had loads of leftover fruit from my mom's party.  Knowing that the two of us could never consume all of it, I made freezer jam.  I was and still am so proud of myself.  We have kiwi/blackberry and mixed berry jams waiting to be lovingly spread on toast!

Yesterday in an attempt to break out of my braising rut and to use some Christmas leftovers in the freezer, I made ham and potato soup with BLTs.  While the soup was good, the sandwiches were great.  I had forgotten how delicious and simple BLTs are.  I added sliced avocado and used arugula instead of lettuce. 

Last night's dinner may inspire a new obsession: BLTs.  Oh man.  Next time I go to town, you might not recognize me.  Bacon butt. 

I snuck in a parsnip.

Christmas ham in March tastes just as delicious as it did in December.

Sauteed goodness.

Diced reds.

This is a great combination of dill, chives, basil, tarragon, chervil and white pepper. You could easily make your own.

Bay leaf.

Simple and delcious.

The star of the meal.

Ham and potato soup
2 cups cooked ham, diced
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 medium red potatoes, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 parsnip, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tbs parisian herb mix -- or combination of similar herbs
salt and pepper
olive oil

In a large stock pot, heat 1 tbs olive.  Add the ham and saute for about 2 minutes.  Add the onion, carrots, celery, and parsnip to the pan.  Season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.  Saute for about 10 minutes.  Add the garlic, potatoes and spice mix, cook another 2 -3 minutes.  Pour in the chicken broth and season with another 1/2 tsp of pepper, as well as add the bay leaf.  Simmer soup for at least 45 minutes or longer.  I cooked mine for about 2 hours.  About ten minutes before you are ready to eat, smash up the potatoes with a spoon -- or remove one cup and zip up it in a blender.  The potato starches will thicken the soup without having to add cream.  Simmer for a few more minutes, season to taste and serve. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carole said...

Nice blog. I found a new way to use leftover roast lamb. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/salad-with-leftover-lamb.html

Ashley Rae said...

That looks delicious! And I think I'll refer to you as Bacon Butt from now on. It has a nice ring to it.