Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Best meal you've ever made"

Paper completion update: revised and edited in its entirety and turned into my advisor.  One step closer to my new title: Master Hailey. My friend Dana graduated last spring, and she coined this title.  Master Dana, I am almost your friend Master Hailey.

Now that I have a little extra free time on my hands, I am doing a little multitasking tonight: knitting, writing a grant, watching the Academy Awards and blogging.  Not sure I will do any all that well, but at least I am not working on my paper.

I just have to say, Billy Crystal is the man. 

Since the Great Samoan Hunter and I started hanging out, I've heard his professed love for one particular meal again and again.  No, not spam. However, he does love corned beef nearly as much as he loves the following dish, osso bucco.

I've attempted to make this rustic, hearty meal before but to no avail, as it requires the shank.  In one particular attempt to wow him with my memory and culinary prowess, I tried to track down said cut of meat.  I visited every single store, meat market and butcher in my little town.  Each butcher looked at me like I had asked for pig's head.  You would think this cut of meat would be more available.  Well, it's not.

If and when you find the holy grail of meat, make this dish.  People, it's lovely.  The Great Samoan Hunter actually told me this was the best meal I have ever made him, and I have been attempting to make his toes curl with my food for almost two years now. 

Now that I am salivating thinking about osso bucco, I am going to return to my boxed mac and cheese.  I throw one heck of an Oscar party!

 
I set off to purchase steak for Valentine's dinner and found lamb shanks.
No comparison.

Seasoned with salt and pepper and browned on all sides.

One red onion, three carrots, three celery ribs and three cloves garlic chopped.

Remove the shanks and set aside. Season the veggies with about 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and saute the veggies for at least ten minutes.

Return the shanks to the pan along with one 28 oz can of whole tomatoes and half of a bottle of a BIG red wine.  Be sure to scrape up all of the goodness off the bottom of the pan.

Bring pan up to boil and simmer for about 2-3 minutes.  Add a handful of fresh thyme.

Pop the lid on and place the whole thing in a low and slow oven.
280 degrees for at least 3.5 hours.

When your timer goes off, remove the shanks and simmer the sauce until it is reduced by half. Season the sauce to taste with salt papper.

Return the shanks to the pan and cover with all that goodness.

I served my osso bucco over creamy, cheesy polenta with a gremolata of garlic, lemon and parsley, as well as roasted asparagus.

Not too shabby.

Need to impress someone?  Make this dinner.

Don't forget the gremolata.

The Basil Hayden helps, too.
Happy Valentine's Day my Samoan Hunter. xoH

1 comment:

heather said...

I ate SPAM kelaguen yesterday, think chicken kelaguen, and have a new found love of SPAM. Allen told me it tasted like cat food, I think otherwise :)