Friday, February 24, 2012

Naughty little party planning elf

Happy Friday!  I just threw a mini temper tantrum because I am posted up inside, table spread with books and other thesis materials.  I promptly gave myself a good scolding for being such a pouty baby.  I have had ample opportunities to play in the sunshine.  I pulled on my big girl panties and buckled in.  I can't move from this chair until I finish two more chapters today.  Two are lovely and polished and ready for my advisor's eagle eye. 

My brain needed a brief hiatus from the cult of domesticity, and because of my self imposed chair-arrest, here I am. Blogging. 

I have been keeping a secret from you all for months.  This secret plagued me on a daily basis.  I so desperately wanted to share it here, as I have been scheming like a naughty little party planning elf.

Behold the secret that I have blamed as the reason I have not been working on my paper:

This plan was hatched while visiting Heather in Saipan.   I volunteered to take on the brunt of the planning since Heather lives in the middle of the ocean and Julia has a full time, grownup job.  While most of the planning was a breeze, the hard part came the weekend of the party: appetizers for 100 people

I made lists, an excel spreadsheet, notes on napkins, last minute grocery trips on the backs of envelopes.  I coordinated with the precision of a surgeon.  I must have stressed myself out (translation looked old and worn out), because while my twenty-four year old sister Julia and our lovely grandmother rehydrated and refueled at the Costco food court, a man older than my parents asked ME how old my daughter was.  Julia.  My sister. I have since been on the quest for anti-aging products.  Please email me with any suggestions.

Regardless of the most flattering comment I have ever received, we rocked the food out.  I tortured those I love by forcing them to be my sous chefs.  Thankfully we were allowed to take over this fabulous, industrial kitchen.  Someday I want one just like it.

See that hotty.  That's my daughter.

As for the menu, I chose all things my mom loves: caprese sticks, smoked salmon, dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped with bacon, stuffed mushrooms, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, among other delectable nibbles.  Everything we made, less the Costco meatballs, was made from scratch.

Smoked salmon pate: 8 oz smoked salmon, 8 oz cream cheese, 1 chopped shallot,
2 tbs chopped fresh dill and chives, juice and zest of 1 lemon, salt and pepper.
Mash up the salmon, cream cheese and shallots with a fork, season with the herbs and lemon. Place in a cute little bowl and refrigerate overnight. 
Serve with crackers or toast points.
Yum.

These are the Great Samoan Hunter's mushrooms:
combine cooked sausage and cream cheese.
Spread mixture into mushroom caps.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Super yum.

These are the stuffed dates.  Remove the seed, stuff with blue cheese and wrap with bacon. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes until golden and bubbly. These were devoured before I had a chance to try them.
However, I heard they were SUPER DUPER YUM.

Caprese sticks with basil, mozzerella and tomatoes.
I made these extra special by making a balsamic drizzle with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 balsamic oil reduced down to a syrup.  I burned the heck out my finger on this stuff so be careful when tasting!

I unfortunately was so wrapped up in the details that I failed to take enough photos of the actual party.  All told, it was a raving success.  My mom was surprised, she cried happy tears through most of the party.  We received great feedback on all the food, which was devoured.  Thanks to loads of helpers, we pulled it off!  Love you mom! xoxo


Potato and blue cheese tart before it landed on the buffet table.

Stuffed dates before they evaporated into thin air.

While this photo is a bit blurry, it captures her surprise and the Judge's elation beautifully.

Checking out the wall of photos.

Okay, so who wants throw a party with me? I am ready to do it again!  Next time, I will be sure to dose my self with anti-wrinkle agents to ensure I don't look stressed and aged. 

Here I go . . . back to my paper.  Here's a little ditty to tantalize you until next time: 
Lamb osso bucco from our Valentine's dinner.
Where did we eat, you ask?
This place you might of heard of, Hail's Kitchen. It's pretty good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The party was great, the band musicians were awesome,and the food was amazing. Great job, Hailey! I was glad to meet all those I hadn't met before!!
Ann Petterson aka Maddie

jessikahsd said...

The party looks amazing! Great job Hailey!