Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My new calling

It's alive!

We had to sacrifice my lens, but all told, my little buddy is a-okay!  The camera man sold me on the importance of a good lens, lenses are your investment, he reinforced.  I knew camera equipment is pricey. I sold my CAR to buy my camera!  However, I had no clue you could drop this kind of coin on lenses.  As much as I wanted to spend $1700 on a 70-200 mm lens, I settled for my go to 50 mm.  I did upgrade to glass, which as you'll see below, I had some fun experimenting with it this weekend.

Speaking of the weekend, it was gorgeous here!  The river traffic has slowed down so I had the odd Saturday to play.  We took a drive over the river and through the woods where the hillsides have been sprinkled with windmills.  I felt like I had been transported to an alien planet.  I love these things, but they sure look strange.

Where's the bird, Tuli?





View from the office.


Monday started off a little wonky.  I drove nearly 45 minutes and realized I had forgotten a whole stack of readings for a paper I have to write today.  Oops.  I am certain my ballet comrades cried because I wasn't in class to dazzle them with my skills.

The day, however, gradually improved: my thesis adviser gave me a big thumbs up on my introduction (hooray!), turkey legs were in stock at Freddie's, and I was in bed by 10:30.  Best part of the day!

The following recipe is loosely adapted from one by Jamie Oliver.  I swapped out Jaime's duck for turkey legs. Can you imagine a turkey leg version of hot wings (legs)?  

Regardless, these turkey legs are great.  Next time you are at Fred Meyer (or Smith's since they are related), look for them.  They add a nice twist to dinner.  This gorgeous stew can easily be made in the crock pot, served with pasta or mashed potatoes, and you could certainly leave the meat on the bone.  Whatever you do, try this dish.  It is an excellent fall meal.

In addition to turkey legs, I also pulled out my mandolin, which I have never used before.  Holy hell this thing is amazing!  I could do an infomercial for it because it truly slices like a dream.  Fingers beware, it does not discriminate!  I made a potato tart to go with the turkey stew and had loads of leftover slices. BEST POTATO CHIPS EVER!  The first batch I sprinkled salt, pepper and dill, the second batch only garlic salt and pepper.  Yes, I think I have found my calling.  Potato chip queen.

Season with salt and pepper.

Brown in a large pot or dutch oven.

Diced shallot, carrot, celery and garlic. 

The stars of the dish: orange juice and zest.

One cinnamon stick.

A handful of rosemary.

Throw in some olives and bake until the meat falls off the bone.

It's harvest time in Idaho.

The instrument of torture.


Layer on a nonstick sheet pan.

Salt, pepper, chopped rosemary and feta cheese.
Bake in a 350 degree oven until crispy and delicious (about 30 mins).

Turkey legs A LA Jaime Oliver
4-6 turkey legs
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery sticks, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 orange, zest and juice
4 large tomatoes, chopped (or one can)
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
3 tbs flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup olives
1/2 bottle of crisp white wine
1/2 cup broth
1 cinnamon stick
salt and pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat about 3 tbs olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven or oven-safe pan with a lid.  Brown the turkey legs on all sides -- you may have to do this in batches.  Remove the legs and add the celery, carrots, shallots and garlic.  Cook, scrapping up the bits on the bottom of the pan, for about 2 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Add the wine, broth, olives, orange zest and juice and the parsley. Stir well to combine.  Return the legs to the pan -- I had to get creative so they all could fit.  Add the cinnamon stick and rosemary.  Place the pan, with the lid on, in the oven and bake for about 1.5 hours or until the turkey meat falls easily off the bone.  Shred the meat off the bone -- watching for bones -- and return to the sauce.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Nan and Aaron said...

You're so awesome!!!

Unknown said...

Hello, Hailey.

I made this tonight...substituted turkey for chicken and changed some veggies with what I on hand. De-lish...super tender.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Kristen