Monday, October 31, 2011

You clean it, I cook it

Happy Halloween!  I am rocking out to my newest Pandora station -- Halloween Party Radio.  These songs are silly and ridiculous and totally wonderful.  I am Monster Mashing right now!  

Halloween might be my favorite holiday.  Over the years Heather and I have concocted some grandiose costumes:  Sarah Palin and Cindy McCain, sister wives with a life-sized cutout of Warren Jeffs, unicorn and toucan.  Since Heather now lives in paradise, I had to whip up my own costume.  

My love for BSU football is not a secret, nor is my desire to one day be the Boise State Bronco girl.  After watching her gallop around the field at last weekend's game against Air Force, my costume was decided.  

Thanks to the crafty assistance of Ashley and the overnighting of the head from Julia, behold the Boise State Bronco girl and her faithful stead:


Amazingly, no fights ensued, no one spent the night in jail, and the head was only mildly accosted.  If this master's degree goes nowhere, that BSU cowgirl will have some competition.

In addition to wearing chaps and fake, blue eyelashes, I spent some time in the kitchen this weekend.  It's hunting season, which means I have to come up with creative ways to mask the taste of often gamey  birds.  On the menu yesterday, pheasant.


Pheasant actually tastes likes chicken.  It lacks the gamey, icky taste of other birds, and it is super lean.  Fortunately, I don't do any cleaning of the birds.  Fair trade off -- you clean it, I cook it.

I decided to make a fall potpie with squash and kale.  I adapted (no surprise) the recipe from one in a Martha Stewart magazine.   You could easily swap out the pheasant for chicken or turkey, or omit it all together for a vegetarian dish.  This rustic meal really hit the spot yesterday.  

We also whipped up some jalapeno poppers for an appetizer.  Readers beware, you will fall in love!   They are super easy and fast to throw together, and they are beyond tasty.  They would make a perfect snack for trick-or-treaters OR those distributing candy.  

For good measure, I think I'll wear my chaps to class this afternoon.  They're too awesome to only wear once.  Have a fun evening all!  

Leek love.



I love fall.

Pot pie filling.

Simmered for 20 minutes.




To make the poppers:
slice 8 -10 jalapenos in half, remove the seeds and ribs.

Combine 1 tbs mayo, 1 cup shredded cheese and 1 block cream cheese.

Slather cheese mixture into the jalapenos.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and melty.

Kale and squash potpie with pheasant
1 pheasant (I boiled the meat and shredded it to remove any shot -- got two!)
1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
1 medium hard squash, peeled and cubed
3 leeks, sliced (only use the white/greenish part)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
3 cups broth (veggie or chicken)
1 tbs Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbs olive oil
2 pie crusts
1 egg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté until wilted, about five minutes.  Add the cooked pheasant, squash, kale, tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning and simmer for 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour mixture into a large baking dish.  Cover with the pie crusts and brush with an egg wash (just scramble an egg and brush on the crust).  Cut vent slits into the crust and bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Nan and Aaron said...

Too cute! You do it all!

Lusks in LOVE said...

not only do you look mighty foxy as the BSU bronc girl, but your food looks uh-maiz-ing! your blog helps me stay connected to you, my friend! i miss you!