Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spring, what spring?

This is the view out of my window this morning:

Don't let the peek of blue sky fool you . . . it is 32 degrees with 35 mph wind gusts.

Poor crocus. Poor Eater Bunny. Where is he going to hide the eggs and Easter baskets tonight? Under a snowdrift?

My family will be gathering for an Easter feast tomorrow morning -- that is if I-86 isn't closed due to drifting. Actually, they're coming down tonight for some beer and bowling! Watch out, people. My mom has been known to throw her balls backwards. She's a wild one.

I'll be sure to post the photos and recipes of our meal. Tomorrow is Sunday, and you know what means: champagne!

Until then, here's a cozy and comforting curry dish that takes no time to throw together. If I had had some cauliflower, I would have included it too, but I was too lazy to go to the store. This would be great with chicken, as well, for my carnivore friends.

I hope you all have a great weekend and a Happy Easter! I hope the Easter Bunny brings you something good! xoH




Potato curry with garbanzo beans
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, juice and all
1/2 cup broth, vegetable or chicken
3 tbs curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tbs olive oil
sour cream and chopped cilantro for garnish

In a large pan or crock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for about three minutes. Add the spices and stir well to combine, cook for about a minute. Add the potatoes, tomatoes and broth. Be sure to scrape up any spices that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Serve hot over rice or couscous; garnish with sour cream and cilantro.

No comments: