Thursday, April 8, 2010

One down, three to go

I have been dreading this month for a long time. April: the month when my two final papers are due. I am a procrastinator, wholeheartedly. I've tried to kick this nasty little habit over the years -- clearly without success. While I have improved a bit, I am about 1/3 complete with one paper, and I have nearly finished the research for the other, my blood pressure is steadily rising.

At the same time, though, April means that I am ALMOST DONE with my first semester of graduate school. Hooray for me! It went incredibly fast. Scary fast. That probing question of what I want to be when I grow up only gets closer with each completed semester. Noodle stocking probably isn't the most lucrative career, won't put much of a dent in my student loans, and doesn't really necessitate a master's degree in English. Damn. I really like that store.

I can at least look forward to a summer where all I do is work -- those were the days, 9-5 and you're done. I plan to spend lots of time on the farm with my dad; I look forward to canning the fruits of our labor with my mom; I can't wait to read the fantastic cooking memoirs/histories the Easter Bunny brought; I am excited to post lots of fun, fresh, summer recipes. Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes.

Summer = a slower pace. I am craving a slower pace. I am also ready for flip flops, bare shoulders, drinking beers on patios, riding my bike, outside concerts, leaves on trees, grilled pizza, crickets, the sweet smell of a tomato vine, and sultry summer nights. Summer cannot come soon enough.

Spring has entered my kitchen despite Mother Nature's recent temper tantrums -- I am not giving in to her moods. Below is a bright, refreshing spring risotto that certainly awakened my spirits. I am confident it can do the same for you, too.

This stuff is pricey, but it will make several batches of risotto.
Think of it as investment :)

Fancy shmancy side cut.

I heart leeks.

The ice bath preserves the beautiful green color and prevents the
vegetables from turning to mush in the rice.

Greens with fresh blueberries, feta cheese and pecans.

This combination will be eaten again. DELICIOUS!

Definitely company-worthy.


Spring vegetable risotto
adapted from Back to the Table
1 bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups peas
1 large shallot, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large leek, sliced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
2 cups arborio (short-grained, risotto-specific) rice
6 cups broth, vegetable or chicken
1 cup dry white wine
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (more if you are a cheese-monger like me)
salt and pepper
2 tbs fresh herbs: chives, Italian parsley or dill (any would be lovely)

Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add the asparagus and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the peas and cook for another minute. Drain and place in an ice water bath to halt the cooking. Once the vegetables are totally chilled, remove and set aside.

Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Turn off the heat, but leave the pan on the burner.

In a large pan or dutch oven, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic and leeks. Cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, stirring often, until it turns from opaque to translucent (be careful not to brown), another minute or so. Add the wine, stirring frequently, and cook until nearly evaporated.

Gradually stir in the hot broth about a cup at a time. Cook, stirring almost constantly, until the rice absorbs almost all the broth. Stir in another cup and repeat, keeping the risotto at a steady simmer, adding more broth until it's almost gone and the rice is barely tender, about 20 minutes in total. If you run out of broth or if the rice isn't tender, use hot water. Add the asparagus and peas, lemon zest and juice and herbs to the rice. Stir well to heat through and then add the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with more cheese and herbs.

2 comments:

Nan and Aaron said...

That looks so fresh and yummy. I love your blog! I am inspired by you. One of these days, you need to come take a little Chicago tour so we can see the sights all day and cook every night. I LOVE cooking, but I'm not awesome at it and need a good teacher. Let me know when you are coming!

Unknown said...

MMMM! I think I'll try this with some toasted pistachios on top!