Tuesday, June 14, 2011

No future in wildlife photography

This past weekend I was on the river enjoying fresh air, a special visit from dear friends, great food, lots of wildlife.  A momma moose and her brand new baby were spotted cruising across from the lodge.  Birds of all sorts were busy taking care of their own babies and building new nests. 

We took a quick trip to Jackson where we strolled through an art gallery.  I kept thinking -- I can do that.  I can take a picture of a bird.  Yeah, right!  Birds don't hold still.  I crept as quietly as I could, tip toeing, army crawling.  Wildlife photography is way harder than say grilled cheese photography.  

Fortunately for me, I caught one little guy who had yet to figure out the art of flying.  He looked at me. I looked at him.  We agreed that we wouldn't mess with each other.  (Bird lovers relax, I wasn't this close. I had my big honkin' lens on).

He still has a fuzzy head!

I tried my damnedest to snap a decent photo of a western tanager for my dad who loves birds, but holy hell! They were not interested in supporting my Father's Day present.

Hey girl. I see you.

Yeah, I'm not interested in your stupid photo.  See ya.

I am left cursing and army crawling in the middle of the road.  Thank God no one drove by and heckled and/or ran me over.  Stupid birds.  

Since my wee little room on the river lacks a cooking facility, when I return home I am always thrilled to get into my kitchen.  I love salmon cakes, crab cakes, savory cakes in general.  You could use fresh salmon for this, but I had canned salmon at the ready, which you would never know the difference. These little cakes were so tasty.  I served them for dinner, but you could make them a bit smaller and serve them as a lovely little appetizer.  Try these.  You won't be disappointed.

I made these pickles but instead of cutting them I used my vegetable peeler and made ribbons.  Carrots, too. 
 Lime zest, green onions and cilantro.  Next time I'll add fresh ginger.  
This salmon is from Costco. So so good!  Makes great salmon salad sandwiches, too. 
 Good thing to have in your pantry.  Lots better than any other breadcrumb. 
Humina, humina, humina.


 Here's where the meal took a turn from yummy to YUMMY!  I made coconut sticky rice for dessert, and I had about half a can of leftover coconut cream.  So in the pan that fried the cakes, I added about a cup of the coconut cream, the juice of two limes, and about a tbs of chopped of cilantro.  This was a total crapshoot. WOWIE!  This sauce had a rich coconut flavor with a hint of lime.  Wonderful sweet contrast to the salty salmon cakes.   
 I would pay for this in a restaurant.
 Easy asian salad dressing: 1 tbs wasabi sauce, 1 tbs mayo, 3 tbs olive oil, squeeze lime, 1 tbs rice wine vinegar, squeeze sriracha, salt and pepper.  Whisk until combined.  Toss greens with dressing and sesame seeds.  Fancy!

Canned asian salmon cakes
3 cans canned salmon 
2 limes, zested
2 green onions, sliced thinly
3 tbs cilantro, chopped
1-2 eggs
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (more for dredging)
3 heaping tbs wasabi sauce
salt and pepper (good dose of each)
canola oil for frying

Preheat oven to 325.  In a bowl, combine zest, onions, cilantro and salmon.  Begin to combine and break up the chunks of salmon.  Next add the eggs (you'll have to feel the texture and judge whether you need 1 or 2 to hold the cakes together), breadcrumbs, wasabi and salt and pepper.  Fashion the salmon into cakes using your hands.  Dredge them in the breadcrumbs and set aside until all the salmon is used.

In a hot skillet, add about 2 tbs oil and GENTLY! add a few cakes.  You could easily bake these for healthier cakes and eliminate this tricky frying process, but they get a lovely, crispy crust.  Fry until golden brown -- only about 2 - 3 minutes total if your pan is hot.  Remove salmon cakes to a cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes or until the cakes are cooked through.

Serve with wasabi sauce, sriracha, ponzu sauce -- all would be delicious!  Enjoy!

No comments: