Thursday, November 5, 2009

Because my quads deserved some half and half

Heather and I recently joined a local gym, and we had a complimentary "meet and greet" with a personal trainer. This personal trainer wasn't your average sporty kid decked out in wind pants and high tops. Oh no. We met with RICH. (You're meant to read the name RICH in a low, manly, beer-crushing kind of voice). RICH is a twenty-something body builder whose arms are three times as large as my thighs. I am quite certain RICH could bench-press my Subaru.

So Heather and I discussed our fitness goals with RICH, and he asked us if we have any injuries or had surgeries he should be aware of. I immediately looked at Heather with trepidation because I hate admitting that I had heart surgery. I was totally fine mentioning to this stranger, RICH, that I had knee surgery in college, but as soon as I utter the words heart and surgery in the same sentence people look at me like I have three eyes.

At this point in our little "meet and greet," RICH looked at me like I was the bionic woman whose fitness goals were totally unrealistic. I would rather reveal my body fat to you, internet, than have to repeat that conversation with RICH. Not going to happen!

Nonetheless, RICH did redeem himself with his weight training regime he suggested for us light weights. He walked us around the gym and demonstrated his Herculean strength on the various weight machines. I was not kidding about the Subaru.

We finally got around to RICH's legs workout on Monday. I am writing this Wednesday evening and both of our legs are still sore. The kind of sore where it's difficult to walk up/down stairs. The kind of sore where it's difficult to sit on the toilet. Sore.

We returned home from the gym on Monday and did not feel the slightest bit guilty when we devoured this creamy, comforting pasta dish. This is another recipe that you can totally tweak to suit your fancy -- use what you have on hand, leave out the artichoke hearts, add bacon, use fettucini instead of ravioli, whatever! Also, my veggie friends, this a great one for you.

I may be the bionic woman, but after RICH's weight training regime, I'll be able to bench-press my Subaru.

This is the greatest tomato paste around.
You don't have to waste an entire can
when you only need a tablespoon.
Find it at your local grocer :)
Notice Berkley wondering if these raviolis are for her.
I got these at the DI for $1.33 in total.
I love them.

Pink sauce with ravioli
2 packages ravioli
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), sliced
1 can artichoke hearts or bottoms, cubed
3-4 large mushrooms, sliced
1 cup spinach, rough chopped
5-6 basil leaves, chiffonade
1 small can tomato sauce
1 tbs tomato paste
1.5 cups half and half
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, more for garnish
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
s/p

Cook pasta according to the directions. In a large sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic until fragrant, about two minutes. Increase the heat to medium high and add mushrooms. Stir to combine and resist the urge to constantly stir. Allow the mushrooms to caramelize. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

Once the mushrooms have gained some color, reduce the heat and pour in the tomato sauce. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts, as well as the tomato paste. Stir well to combine. Pour in the half and half and allow to simmer until sauce begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Add the spinach, basil and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over the pasta.

No comments: