Monday, January 23, 2012

Muffin top

Before I begin today's random diatribe, I have to briefly give thanks -- to you, dear internet friends.  I realize my blog is but a blip in the garantuan universe of the World Wide Web, and you have myriad other sites to read.  But, all three of you, you keep coming back, and I sure love you for that. 

As I mentioned in the last blog post, the unabashed eating and drinking and being very merry has caught up to me.  There used to be value in putting a little meat on one's bones in order to make it through the cold, bleak winter.  Now that 'extra meat' has evolved into horribly irritating food references like 'muffin top,' which are not at all charming.  The term 'muffin top' annoys me about as much as the abreviation 'EVOO.'  I shutter at that phrase.

Someday when I am a master of English, I am going to strike muffin top and EVOO from the English language.  That's what this near degree has earned me -- the power to make up words, as well as eliminate others I loathe.

Sorry, I warned you about the diatribe.  I have for you a few photos of the merriment that ensued in Saipan.  Because Heather and Nick were cautious of my camera's safety, I didn't take it everywhere. Almost everywhere.

Tuna and avocado salad. I can't wait to recreate this.

Spicy tuna.

So many food options, so little time.

Banana pancakes with caramel sauce AND chocolate ice cream.
Heather opted for the ice cream on the side.

Spam, corned beef hash, chorizo with scrambled eggs and garlic friend rice.
I blame this meal for the muffin top.

Have you ever eaten mac and cheese with chop sticks?
Nope, didn't think so.

$5.00, 5 pound thai feast.

Now that I am home and attempting to establish a routine (still splitting my time between river and city livin), I am also putting forth a diligent effort to gain control of my waistline.  

Here's my plan:

Eat breakfast.  Eat whole, real foods. Drink less beer.  Drink more water.  Move a lot (this has largely taken the form of walk/jogs with the Tuli dog and loads of yoga). 

Easy, right? So far so good. I plan to sign up for a few fun runs and triathalons this summer to ensure that I am motivated to move.  Fear is an extraordinary motivator.

Here's an easy peasy salmon recipe that is both delicious and nutritious.  This dish combines garlic, ginger, seasame oil, soy sauce, sriracha and cilantro to create a spicy, flavorful glaze.  You can whip up the sauce in the time it takes your oven to preheat.  I served mine with quinoa and snap peas marinated in the same sauce.  This would be great on any protein -- fish, chicken or pork.  Try it, you'll like it.


Baked salmon with spicy glaze
1 lb fillet of salmon
1 clove garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 handful of cilantro, chopped
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs seasame oil
1 tbs sriracha (more or less depending on your affection for spice)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a bowl, combine all of the above ingredients.  Place the salmon in a baking dish and pour the glaze over (I spooned the chunks over the salmon).  Cover the pan with foil, bake for about 15 minutes or longer depending on your desired doneness.  Serve hot or cold and enjoy!

1 comment:

Tri Cook said...

Sign up for some Tri's in Oahu. Weathers always nice and water never gets cold. I'll loan you my #2 bike if you're actually do come here.