Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Toucan

The following post has nothing to do food, but it is too good not to share. xoH

This past Friday night was Dead Writer's Night, my one responsibility as English Graduate Student Associate Master's Student Vice President (say that ten times fast).  Folks were invited to read a piece from their favorite deceased author.  We ate yummy Thai appetizers, as the event was held on the patio of the local Thai restaurant and enjoyed the calm October evening.

While most students took the event seriously and read pieces that were either Halloween-themed or spooky in nature, I, on the other hand, wore my Halloween costume and read a piece by one of my favorite dead writers.  When I finished reading my brief poem, the one child in the crowd yelled, "I love that poem!"  Made my whole day.

The Toucan
by Shel Silverstein

Tell me who can 
Catch a Toucan?
Lou can.

Just how few can 
Ride the Toucan?
Two can.

What kind of goo
Can you stick to the Toucan?
Glue can.

Who can write some
More about the Toucan?
You can!

4 comments:

Nan and Aaron said...

That is awesome! You're going to make a great mommy some day.

michaelstubbs said...

I am glad that Dead Writer's night lives on. I wish I could have been there this year.

Jim said...

Every time a Thai bell rings,
A toucan gets its wings.
Who can?
You can,
Toucan.

Jim

The Cork Chipper said...

This is the cutest story I've ever read, written by the cutest woman in the cutest Halloween costume EVER. Thanks for this.