Thursday, October 28, 2010

Whole-assing it

I had a professor recently describe the feeling I am experiencing right now as gray -- not sad or bummed out -- just stuck in an in between space.  Have you ever felt like this?  Since my return from the most epic love event ever, I haven't been able to catch up.  I don't like to do anything half-assed.  I like to shove the entire thing in and wiggle it around for all to see.

What has also contributed to my grayness is the fact that my employment contract expires in less than one month, which means that not only does my miniscule income cease, but also my health insurance.  If you know anything about me -- you know that I was gifted a lemon for a body at birth and would sooner go without coffee than health insurance.  Yes, serious commitment.

But, grayness aside, I spoke to a good friend on the phone last night who reminded me that me things always fall into place.  If I keep on keeping on (sticking my ass in with full gusto) it will all work out.  

As I drink my coffee this morning and enjoy the pleasure of writing in Hail's Kitchen voice instead of Victorian literature voice, I plan to whole-ass it today.  And tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the next day.  If only I had some of those patted butt undies.

Believe it or not, I do have some recipes for you today -- that I cooked!  The first is a dish I now consume at least 4 times a week, as it is SO EASY and SO YUMMY.  The second is a pasta dish I threw together with veggies my mom handed me as I dashed out of her house one afternoon.  I am cooking a meal, a real meal, for a girl friend tonight, and as I previously vowed, I am whole-assing it today.  I will be sure to document every slice, dice and saute for you all.

I hope the sun is shining and the wind is not blowing wherever you are.  xoH  

Shelled, frozen edamame.  Steam in the microwave for 2 (or more minutes) in about 1 tbs of low sodium soy sauce.
This chili garlic sauce is my new obsession.  Sriracha is tasty too, but this stuff adds a wonderful garlicky element.  I add about 1 tsp.  Adjust for your taste buds. 
Hidden underneath those cute little pods is brown rice.  The edamame is quite capable of standing on its own though.
Pasta:

Quarter a handful of cherry tomatoes and dice a green pepper.

Saute the peppers and tomatoes, add crumbled turkey sausage (or omit), fresh corn kernels (or frozen).  Season with salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes for a bit of spice.  While this action is going on, boil the pasta and reserve about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.  
Add the cooked pasta, a handful of basil and parmesan cheese, as well as the reserved pasta water.  Toss well to coat.
Serve hot.  Shed tears for natural light.

3 comments:

The Cork Chipper said...

I am soooooooooo sorry for your health insurance nightmare! oh no! Too bad the republicans passed the crappy version of the health care bill, otherwise cool provisions would be in effect NOW not 2014! blag. Just sending sympathy. I didn't have health insurance until I was 23 years old - but I luckily had no serious health problems. :( but your friend is right. It will all work out in the end.

Whitney said...

I just love it when you whole-ass it! BAHAHAH!! well sister, I hope things settle down for you and that your little body doesn't need the insurance :( Sending you love, whoopies pies and too much wine for one night,

Whit

Jim said...

I, too, am a fan of the chili garlic sauce!

Coincidentally, I made short grain (Japanese style) brown rice last night for the first time - it had taken me longer to find a local source for it than it had taken me to find one for star anise. I tried the brown rice with furikake and with stinky tofu. I can see why brown rice is becoming more popular in Japan.

It is always fun to read your blog and enjoy your writing and your photography!