Monday, October 12, 2009

Eat on $30

For those of you who know me, know that I just committed myself to a major life change -- quit my job to return to school. Currently, I am still looking for a job in this town some have lovingly nicknamed Poca-hell-hole, and my only source of income is student loans. Ouch. I know there are lots of folks who are living in similar circumstances, but there are also lots who are living in far worse conditions.

Enter: Eat on $30 challenge! Tami from Running with Tweezers is hosting a week long hunger awareness campaign that challenges people to eat on $30/person for an entire week. I was immediately inspired and motivated to join the great bloggers who are participating in this important conversation.

I got all wrapped up in the excitement and meal planning, and then I had an epiphany:

Tami was speaking to directly to me . . . to my broke ass who can no longer afford to go to the grocery store and frivolously drop $60 on A MEAL. She reminded me that I am part of this community who should be spending $30 a week on groceries every week, not just for a challenge. I am still digesting that conclusion.

This Eat on $30 challenge is meant bring awareness about hunger and poverty and the disparity that exists in our nation. As bloggers, we've been challenged to only spend $30/person, use nothing existing in our fridges and pantries and share with you our experiences -- so long pumpkin lattes. Sniffle, sniffle.

Check out the other fabulous conversations that are taking place:
I'm off to class, but I can't wait to report our shopping trip last night. Here's a preview: we saved $30.12 on our groceries! It was exhilarating. Who new coupon-clipping was so awesome?!

1 comment:

Paula - bell'alimento said...

WOW what an incredible savings that's awesome!